Location: Creek behind Evan’s Trailers
Date: May 12, 2008
Time: 3:40 p.m
Temperature: 45 Degrees F
Weather: Mostly clear, dark clouds rolling in
Winds: Slightly windy
Soil: Dry on top, a bit moist deeper under
Because the clouds that were rolling in are black I expected some rain, but I didn’t see any later on during the day. As I arrived on the site there were a few black figures swimming in the creek not too far from the goose that I have seen in my last two observations. I believe them to be goslings, but they could also be small ducks. Their size and the proximity at which they were with the goose implies that they are goslings. Yet their plumage is black, not likely if they hatched not to long ago. Also, they were able to fly, something that takes some time for a gosling to do. Along with the geese in the area there is also a large community of birds, sparrows among them. There are a few bird feeders placed on the trees near the trailers. That is where most of the populations of birds are located. Because there are very few insects for the birds to feed on so they depend on the bird feeders for food. I will continue to observe these birds more closely and see if they compete for any of the necessities of life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment