Thursday, May 8, 2008

Observation #1

Description of Area: The area that I have chose to observe is the creek behind Evan’s Trailers. The river and it’s surrounding area is full of life, from the tiny ants crawling under the rocks to the dozens of birds nesting near the top of the trees. The river goes on further than the eye can see so I have narrowed it down to an area of approximately a football field around the creek. The river itself is not very large, I estimate around forty feet, but it does support all of the plant life around it. Plant life like the small grasses and shrubs, surrounding it, to the countless trees only feet away from the river. The fifteen feet from the tree line to the river is almost barren, it’s covered in rocks. This makes it hard for plant life to grow, but there are small trees and grasses breaking through the space between the rocks. The river is separated by a small island in the middle of the river. A section of the river flows into shallower ground, forming a small creek in which geese and ducks bathe in, moose drink out of, an plants feed from. Hiding in trees are countless birds that are very commonly heard, but not so commonly seen. The tree branches provide perfect coverage from the eye sight, and the most of the trees are leafless. I believe that when the trees are full of leaves, the birds will be scarcely seen. This area seems to be very promising and already I have made some interesting observations on how animals and plants interact with one another.

No comments: